- Good brain/sane.
- Trained in jumping such that the horse is straightforward and suitable for an amateur who is far from a perfect rider. Dressage training is a bonus.
- Price within my budget.
- Compatible personality.
- Willing attitude/good work ethic.
- Goals - to learn on and have fun on, and be able to compete at local shows within the next 6 months at BN level (or equivalent levels in other disciplines), and compete at larger shows within 12 months.
- Age - under 20, over 4.
- Height & conformation - over 15 hands, not completely downhill or backwards built.
- Show experience - a bonus.
- Health, Soundness, Injuries & Vet Check - strongly prefer horse in overall good health, without special medical issues that require lifelong care.
- Vices, Feed, Stable Management - prefer easy keeper with no vices of course.
- Reputation or referral by friends or trainers - good recommendation strongly considered.
- Feet - want to avoid horrible feet.
Don't Care About
- Breed & Breeding - I enjoy learning about horses' breeding, but its not a factor for me in selecting a partner this time.
- Attractiveness - honestly its a rare horse I find unattractive.
- Name - a good name is a bonus.
- Je ne sais quois/X-factor - don't care right now.
- Ground manners - a bonus, but I'm confident in being able to install this if needed.
- Registered - preferred for ease of researching the horse only.