Monday, January 17, 2011

Starting the year off right

So far, so good for 2011. It's only been 2 weeks, but hey - they've been great!
I had my second jumping lesson on Spirit, and while there's plenty that I as a rider need to work on, Spirit's been getting nothing but compliments! We even jumped our highest jump ever - 3'6". It didn't seem very high when I looked at it, actually, but I definitely got some hang time. Its the best feeling when you're trainer says "this horse is gonna take you far." Pretty nice review of a 5-year old being ridden by a complete amateur. (As an aside, should I start calling her a 6-year old, since the first of the year is past?  She technically turns 6 in May, but for competition purposes she is 6 as of Jan 1.)
Meanwhile I'm trying to do my part to start the year off right by being organized, goal-oriented, and fully equipped for my sport. I'm buying tack, keeping a calendar, creating a three-ring binder, and of course blogging!
Buying tack is definitely an undertaking. Up until this point, the most I'd ever spent on a saddle is $100 when I was 12 years old. After doing lots of research, my brain knows that spending $550 on a used but good quality jumping saddle is a good deal, but that doesn't make it any easier on the wallet. I've also got a dressage saddle on trial - those are so pricey! But, I'm viewing the saddles as an investment in my comfort, and as a symbol of my commitment to the sport. I'm gonna start off 2011 squarely in my own tack.

No comments:

Post a Comment