Thursday, February 3, 2011

First XC Schooling of 2011

So we had our first cross country schooling of the year this past Saturday. Once again Spirit proved to be the most amazing horse ever. We took on water and down banks (our bogie) and even a Novice sized rolltop. Spirit was a pro. First time at that facility, and no problem. How am I so lucky to have her?

Unfortunately, I'm not quite as pro as she is. She's almost 6 and has been doing this for basically 1 year, whereas I've been riding for 18 years, but that didn't stop me from being a bit of a nervous nilly! It was the first time my trainer got to see me ride when I'm nervous/tense, and she gave me a list of things to work on. I'm so impatient to improving my riding - I want to take lessons every day until I can do it right! If only the day job and pocketbook didn't get in the way...  Meanwhile, in between practice rides and lessons, I'm reading up and working out. I've got a whole slew of books from my trainer, but if anyone has any suggestions for books, maybe something like "The basics of dressage and jumping for you and your young horse" or "How to train yourself and your horse at the same time" or something like that, just let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment