Thursday, January 31, 2013

2013 Goals

One of my fav quotes.

Okay, it's only taken the full month of January, but I'm ready to commit to some 2013 year goals. Actually, just one main goal:

Get through a Horse Trial with a total score. IE, do not get eliminated. Make it through all 3 phases: dressage, cross-country, and stadium jumping. Can be done at any level, even the USEA unrecognized "Intro" or "Pre-comp" levels.

This will be my 3rd consecutive year with this goal. It sounds so easy, yet I'm nervous about it. Its hard having the same goal for so long.  We have 11 more months to reach it. Well actually we have the rest of our lives. But I'd really prefer to reach it sometime this year.

Another goal is to do at least 2 cross-country schoolings at new places. Since we've only schooled at Meadows and Castle Rock, both located in Moorpark, that leaves lots and lots of places to qualify. My heart of hearts really wants to go to Twin Rivers, but Shepherd, Fresno, Copper, or Galway would be great too.

I'm still in the midst of my short term plans, and so far I'm on schedule. His front shoes have been off for a few weeks, and so far so good. We've been doing lots of dressage and I'm feeling very good about it. I do think we can head to our first dressage show as soon as I can find one that is close and cheap. Mostly cheap.

This month we've been sticking to the soft footing of the arena (well, soft relative to outside the arena - but as far as arenas go the footing is not great). I've also started riding him on our flat concrete driveway for a few minutes every ride for the last few days in an effort to continue a healthy hoof transition.  I've decided that we are ready to start hitting the trails. I miss them. It's been months. And the harder footing will be good for stimulating and evaluating his hoof transition.

Additionally we're going to start adding back in some light jumping as well. I still haven't ordered a new jump girth so I better take care of that so I can actually ride in that fancy new saddle of mine.

So here's the plan: February will be adding back in trails and jumping to our schedule, keeping an eye on his front feet. If all goes well, here's our preliminary event calendar:

End Feb/Throughout March - Cross country schoolings anywhere we can get to.

March 9 and/or 10 - Spring Forward Dressage Show at El Sueno Equestrian Center. They have $35 Opportunity classes.

March 24 - Combined Test Derby at The Meadows of Moorpark. $120 for dressage and a combined stadium - cross-country jump course. I'm thinking the Easy Beginner Novice level (jumps 2'3"). Or there's the Derby at El Sueno Equestrian Center that same weekend. No dressage, but cheaper than Meadows.

April 26-28 - Horse Trials at Fresno County Horse Park (formerly RamTap). My eye is on the Intro level.

May 19 - One day event at Twin Rivers. Also is a derby at El Sueno Equestrian Center.

June 21-23 - Horse Trials at Shepherd Ranch.

July 7 - Derby at El Sueno Equestrian Center.

My priority is on schoolings over shows. Cheaper and less pressure, though I do think that lots of horses get lots of training from the experience of a horse trial.




3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan! Excited to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah - the El Sueno show will still be pricey as it is USDF/USEF/CDS rated. Try to find a CDS rated show or just a schooling show to seriously cut down on the price. VCC of CDS, the ladies we met the other day, put on a series of dressage schooling shows in your area. You can ride two tests for under $100 (none of the other big fees). You can find the schedule here: http://www.venturacds.org/events/2013-show-schedule Their next show is at White Birch Farm on March 31.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete