Friday, June 14, 2013

35 Asks

From Viva Carlos and The Polka Dot Periodical and All In and Nanakorobi yaoki:

1: A time you've been scared for your life on horseback.
For my life? Never. For my rib cage, a number of times. The first time I ever galloped on a horse was an incredible mix of fear and exhilaration. I was about 14 years old, riding Bo, my American Saddlebred. We were on a trail ride with a friend who was riding an ex-racehorse. She asked if we wanted to do a little run. I assumed she meant a canter. I was wrong. As a saddleseat show horse I bet it was Bo's first time galloping with a rider on. It sure wasn't his last. ;]

2: There's a huge party at your friends house or you could have a lesson on the same night, which do you go to?
The lesson. Unless these friends are visiting from out of town or something.

3: Favorite markings a horse can have.
No preference.

4: Would you rather deal with bolting, rearing or bucking?
Yikes. I'm most experienced in dealing with rearing, but it was very dangerous so I think I'd choose bolting.

5: Agree or disagree; To have good eq means to be a good rider?
Disagree. Sometimes being a good, effective rider means throwing eq out the window and channeling your inner cowboy.

6: If you could try any discipline on any horse for 1 day, what discipline and what horse?
Show jumping, on a well trained push-button horse.

7: 3 horses you'd want to ride/meet the most?
Cuna
Henny
SV Casey's Final Countdown (World Grand Champion 5-gaited Saddlebred)

8: On a scale of 1-10 how good would you say your seat is?
5

9: One of your goals for the next year, horse-wise.
Complete a horse trials with a score.

10: Would you rather teach lessons or train horses?
Train horses

11: Have you ever given a lesson for money?
No

12: If you were a trainer, would you want to train little kids, pre-teens, teens or adults?
Teens. They're old enough that you can talk with them like adults, but likely have less fears.

13: Have you ever ridden someone's horse for money?
Not for money, per se, but for a discount off of my rent which is pretty close.

14: If given the opportunity, would you exercise track horses?
I'd have to really think about it. Sounds kinda scary.

15: On a scale of 1-10 what is your confidence like in the saddle?
Confidence in staying on the horse would be a 9.5. It is a very rare moment when I'm nervous about falling off. But confidence in being an effective event rider would be more like a 5. I'm constantly working on it, and while I'm always improving there is a long way to go.

16: 3 things you need to work on, riding-wise?
Lower leg, shorter reins, recovering after fences.

17: 3 things your horse needs to work on.
Balance, focus, liberty of movement, and bending right. Yes, that's 4 things.

18. Top 3 favourite riders?
Tough question - there are so many! I picked 3 top eventers who are actively competing:
Tiana Coudray
Karen O'Connor 

19: Is there anyone you'd say is a bad rider? (don't give names)
Yes. Dangerous riders who have their horses completely on the forehand, charging around the course are bad riders.

20: Are you better on the flat or over fences?
Bah, trick question. Even jump courses are mostly flat. However I think I'm a more attractive rider when doing jump courses versus dressage.

21: How high do you think you've jumped?
3'6"

22: How high do you think your horse would be capable of jumping?
No clue.

23: Opinion on tackless riding.
Fun!

24: Have you ever lied or over-dramatized anything about your riding?
Well, when I explain to non-horsey people what 3-day eventing is and I refer to the Olympics or Rolex, that is quite an over dramatization as compared to the 2' courses I'm personally actually doing.  =P

25: Do you think you're a good rider?
Yes.

26: Ever had barn drama?
I've been at barns. So the answer is yes.

27: Favorite things about the barn you're at?
Quality feed, excellent lighting, great caretakers, accessible and professional managers, 8 arenas...the list goes on and on.

28: Will you show next year? If so in what?
Yes - hopefully a combination of registered horse trials and local shows.

29: Plans for your horse over the next year?
Have fun, keep improving.

30: Would you share your tack with people?
Depends on the person, but I don't do it regularly.

31: Has a horse ever shattered your confidence?
Shattered is a strong word. Shaken, yes.

32: Ever been scared to get on a horse?
Yes - most recently, after recovering from a knee injury. I knew I couldn't afford to fall off again which puts added stress and pressure to a ride.

33: Do you get nervous before shows?
Yes

34: Hunters or Jumpers?
Right now we do hunters, but I think I'd rather do jumpers.

35: Last time you fell off? What happened? Were you hurt?
About a month or two ago. In a dressage lesson my horse started hopping up and down and I got completely unseated and fell forward on his neck, he took off running (my dressage whip banging on him didn't help), and I tried with all my might to sit back up but I simply couldn't. After a few rounds around the arena I decided to bail off the side. I wasn't hurt, but my abs were quivering for over a day from the effort of trying to sit up.

2 comments: