Thursday, April 24, 2014

Hooves photos

First of all, thanks for all the support and encouragement as Hemie and I head into the show after a few bad lessons. I'm happy to report that we've had some positive rides and I'm really focusing on happy/calm/fun/relaxation! Thanks again for the encouraging comments.

~ ~ ~

Its been a while since I've talked about Hemie's hooves. He's still barefoot and going strong. 
He goes 6 to 8 weeks between trims by our professional farrier, with myself doing "vanity touch-ups" every 1 to 2 weeks in between. I pretty much just try to roll the toes a bit and address any little chips, but I just got a new farrier's blade so I plan on being more proactive in dealing with bar overgrowth and his frogs. ;)

Here's a "before" and "after" the professional trim.

The day before the trim



Immediately following the trim


Because we have the show this weekend, our trimmer polished the exterior of the hoof. Normally we don't do that. I also followed up with an application of Keratex hoof hardener, mostly to add a layer to help keep the exterior of the hoof clean and shiny.


~ ~ ~

Reminder to go check out Hilary's contest at Equestrian at Hart!




8 comments:

  1. Haha I was planning on doing a hoof post tomorrow since baby Fiction gets his feet done today :) I wish we could go barefoot! Hemie's feet look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was like, "Ooh, how does she get them so shiny afterwards?!" They're looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trimmer does a light rasp of the outside, then uses a regular wood sanding block from a hardware store to smooth and buff it. =) Your post from a few weeks ago with the photos inspired this post.

      Delete
  3. Hoof posts are my favourite, I was thinking of doing one tomorrow :)
    Hemie's feet look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would kill for Hemie's concave front hooves! Looking good.

    ReplyDelete