Friday, December 6, 2013

5 Day Challenge - Day 1

What's been happening with us? Lots of riding in the dark. Photos don't come out well at all - with flash they look fuzzy, without is too dark. We ended no-stirrup November strong, and are doing Dressage December!*

Now finally, my (past due) last day of 30 Days of Giving Thanks:

Day 30 - I'm thankful for living in Southern California where our winters are much milder than most other places!


So what's a girl to post about in the winter when rides are short and sweet and there's minimal photos? Well, we're saved by Tracy at Fly On Over's 5 Day Challenge. Thanks Tracy.

#1. The most influential person on your riding.

Well, that one's easy. My trainer for the last few years: Laurie Canty. She does not teach me how to ride; rather, she tells me what we are trying to achieve with the horse and why, and then "form fits function" and she gives me multiple strategies to try to achieve our goal. It's very empowering, and it means that I can ride my horse no matter what side of the stall he woke up on that day, or what the weather is doing, etc etc.

I really appreciate her dedication, enthusiasm, and humility. Lessons go as long as needed for us to "get it." She's very positive, but constantly pushing me (and Hemie) for more. And she does things for us that I know other trainers would be too proud to do, for which I am so grateful.

She has been taking a break from training due to recent surgery, and I miss her and our lessons terribly.


#2. Piece of tack you'd love to splurge on.

A high-quality padded leather halter with beautiful name plate. They are ridiculously overpriced, but I want one anyway.


#3. Top 5 riding playlist.

Alas, I do not typically listen to music while riding. But I do listen to music when packing for and driving to horse shows. My top would be:

  • Ace of Base, entire album
  • Shakira "Whenever, Wherever"
  • Edward Maya "Stereo Love"
  • Dev "Dancing in the Dark"
  • Kylie Minogue, anything


Jesse, Castle Rock manager & trainer

#4. Most important aspect of your barn.
This is a tough one because I love so many things about my barn. But #1 is surely their personnel: a professional and expert group of full-time managers and stable-hands. I believe my horse is in educated and capable hands, and I like that they are constantly checking on the horses. For example, they called me right away when he cut himself bad in turnout. If we had still been at my last barn, I wouldn't have gotten that call for several more hours, when it was feeding time.


#5. 3 winter riding goals.

1. Work on Hemie's dressage.
2. Improve my lower leg.
3. Maintain consistent work schedule as much as possible.




*Dressage December is not an actual "thing."  But I'm doing it anyway. You're welcome to join me.


5 comments:

  1. I might be late with this, but love the new banner photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I like Dressage December, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing Dressage December, and DJ, DF, DM … you get the idea. :0) I might like to try something else though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I like Dressage December! Although my paltry attempts are hardly worthy of the term!!

    ReplyDelete