Thursday, October 2, 2014

B&S BH: Why the heck did you start?

From Mel at Boots and Saddles: Why did you start riding?

I have been horse crazy for as long as I can remember. Ever since I was a tiny child. I remember being the only kid at a kindergarten play day event who chose the horse-riding rather than swimming. 

After much begging I finally started riding lessons when I was 6 years old (1st grade). I haven't stopped since.

My first riding lesson. I remember Willoughby the {naughty} pony.

I am the *only* horse person in my family. And I have a large family. I used to joke that I had a mutant horse gene. 

But it turns out maybe it wasn't a genetic fluke. Maybe even with a non-horsey family, it was nurture not nature...

Enter Camilla. She was my nanny from when I was still in utero to when I was maybe 2. I have no memories from that age, but I met her as an adult when she and her family visited from Sweden about a year ago. 

That is when I learned that she loves horses and used to tell me stories about them when I was a teeny tiny baby.

So there you have it. The reason I have been horse crazy for as long as I can remember - the reason I started riding and continue to enjoy everything about horses: stories I can't even remember from a Swedish nanny from when I was an infant.    :) 




4 comments:

  1. aww that's actually really cute! my background is similar (minus the swedish nanny) - i'm the only horsey person in my family and was obsessed pretty much from day one. it really is an addiction lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah we random horse people really get the bug, don't we?

      Delete